You can view instructions for how to register for this year’s convention and events here:
The Board has decided to use Tabletop Events to help us manage Little Wars 2019. Game Masters submitting games for Little Wars will need to:
1) Read the Game Submission Instructions posted here: Instructions for Submission of Games to Little Wars 2019
2) Go to tabletop.events and create an account – necessary in order to use Tabletop
3) To begin submitting your game[s], go directly to our Events Submission page at:
4) The Events Manager will receive your submission, approve it or request any appropriate changes before final approval.
5) Once approved, the Events Manager will locate a Table that has open Time Slots for your game, reserve the space for you and include the requested setup and take down times.
6) Once Pre-Registration is open and players begin selecting their games, the magic of Tabletop events will produce for you: a list of players, a waiting list, and means for communicating with the players. Please note that we are, as usual, holding back 25% of the player slots so we might have spaces available for selection on site at the convention.
7) The Events Desk at Little Wars will have a TV screen posting current status of games, and a series of lap tops to help manage all the events. We will also have a printer for assigning new players to games with available space.
Saturday, February 2, 2019 – deadline for submission of games for the Preliminary Events List
Monday, February 4, 2019 – opening of Preregistration for Little Wars 2019 – including selection of specific games
Sunday, March 31, 2019 – closing of Preregistration and deadline for submission of games that can be included in the Program – in order to create the Program for the Convention, the Pre-registration packets, and the Swag Bags.
- Free Demo Table option for those Vendors that have expressed an interest in the Lilac Room: We will be able to offer a few more of these, by moving Paint and Take.
- Vendor Support Desk: Operated throughout the con to assist in any potential issues that may arise.
- Drink and snack cart: Lor and her friends will be back, with a smile and a cold one.
- Unloading and uploading volunteer support: This will be available Thursday night, Friday morning and Sunday after 1:00 PM.
- Program Book/Newsletter/Website advertising options:Reach out to your customers at the con and all year through HMGS-Midwest media.
- Swag Bag: SWAG donations are a terrific way to get your name and product in front of hundreds of Little Wars attendees.
- Treasure Hunt with Demo Games: Help create traffic to your booth, it became an instant hit at the convention.
- Flea Market: We will be adjusting the schedule to cause minimal conflict with the Vendor hours of operations
There were two major awards announced at Little Wars 2018 and two more that the Board is announcing as a result of the convention.
Todd Fisher Awards 2018
The Todd Fisher Award is presented to HMGS-Midwest members which have shown commitment and service to HMGS-Midwest and Little Wars. Nominations for the award are submitted in writing and sent to the HMGS-Midwest President who forwards them to a committee made up of past award recipients.Then the decision is made by these former recipients, not the Board or any other HMGS-Midwest members.
For 2018, our two recipients were Tim Fisher and Steve Rysemus. Together they span the almost 35 years of the history of HMGS-Midwest. Tim Fisher is one of the founding members of HMGS-Midwest and was recognized for his early contributions to the society. Steve Rysemus has recognized for his more recent service as webmaster, Newsletter editor, and Events Manager for in the last decade.
Recipients receive a stylish challenge coin, a lifetime membership to HMGS-Midwest, and free entry at Little Wars.
Theme Prize – “Dawn of a New Age” – Little Wars 2018
The theme for this year was “Dawn of a New Age.” The Theme Prize Award goes to Rich Bliss for his presentation of “Dawn of the Gunpowder Age – The Battle of Cerignola” which was the most significant representation of the theme. With the recognition goes free entry into Little Wars 2019. Congratulations Rich!
Gamer’s Choice Award – Little Wars 2018
The Board decided to add a new award this year voted on directly by the membership. And this year Bill Wimbiscus was recognized for his classic western “Fistful of Lead” offering that ran the entire weekend. As with the theme Prize Award, Bill will receive free entry into Little Wars 2019. Congratulations, Bill.
The Preliminary Events Listing (PEL) for Little Wars 2018 has been updated: LITTLE WARS 2018 PEL MAR 28 2018 These events will be in the Program Book. You may continue to submit events, but they will not be part of the Program Book. The final date for submitting events is March 30.
IF YOU ARE A JUDGE AND HAVE ALREADY SUBMITTED YOUR EVENT, your time slot and event are confirmed in this listing. If there are any issues, please send your questions or corrections to firstname.lastname@example.org. Our hope is to make the PEL a living document as new games come in.
We continue to work on physical layout and table assignments. We do not have table locations at this time. We had intended to send out table assignments ahead of the convention, but the Board of Directors elected to keep event submissions open significantly past the deadline. By doing this, all the submissions as of April 2 will actually be in the Program Book! The Program Book itself will tell you what table your game is on.
PREREGISTRATION IS CLOSED
IF YOU ARE PREREGISTERING FOR THE CONVENTION, please complete the LITTLE WARS PREREGISTRATION 2018 FORM. Enclose your personal check, cashier’s check or money order, made out to ‘HMGS-MIDWEST.’ You are not preregistered if you don’t include payment. Send your completed form and payment to: HMGS-Midwest, c/o Paul Dayton, PO Box 352, Wayne, IL 60184 We are not accepting emails or electronic preregistrations at this time. If you want to pay electronically and use PayPal, you may mail in your registration to the above address, and then use this link to pay the appropriate amount owed. As above, if you don’t pay the correct amount, you are not preregistered. Important: Preregistration closes March 31, 2018. Save money and preregister now!
PREREGISTERING FOR GAMES – CLOSED as of April 4
You can also preregister for up to six games on the same form. Single Day attendees may preregister for up to three events. Weekend attendees may preregister for up to six events. Each event has been assigned a unique Game Code (first column on the left of the PEL). You will need the codes for the events you wish to preregister on the form. For those wondering about the code, it does have meaning. The first three digits refer to the day. The 4th digit refers to the time slot (1 = morning, 2 = afternoon, 3 = evening). For example, the first listing in the PEL has a code of 1TH301. It means that it is a Thursday (TH) evening (3) event. PLEASE NOTE: We have indicated the maximum number of players for each event; however, preregistration will close for an event at 75% (rounded down) of the maximum number (in order to allow for slots to be available on the first day of the convention). The sooner you preregister, the more likely you will get your desired events.
For those interested in the Bolt Action tournament, here are rules and format: 2018 Little Wars BA Tournament.
For those interested in the Test of Honor tournament, here are the rules and format: 2018 Little Wars ToH Tournament
The call for judges this year has been wildly successful and we are pleased that so many judges have volunteered their time and their talents to make Little Wars 2018 one to remember. We are still accepting events from judges up until March 30.
- Anyone submitting events for Saturday morning or afternoon will be put on a waiting list – we are full to the brim! Should events cancel, we will add judges in the order in which we have received events. We will notify you directly if we can accommodate your event. Saturday evening (7 PM and later) still has some room.
- Friday (all time slots) is getting full, too. We can squeeze in a few more events, but space is limited.
- Thursday night is healthy, but there is room for more.
- Sunday is healthy, too, but we can accept more events.
We’ve already met our minimum room requirements with The Westin – thank you to those who have booked early – but for those of you still waiting, here’s a bigger incentive. For everyone who has already booked or who books between now and April 20 at the Little Wars 2018 block of rooms preferred rate, your name will automatically be entered into a drawing for ONE NIGHT PAID by HMGS-Midwest.
What do you need to do? If you’ve already reserved your rooms, you’re good! If not, book now. The preferred rate is available publicly until midnight, March 24. After that, you must call the hotel directly and make arrangements. They will honor the rate until April 20 (subject to room availability).
Are there any other restrictions? Yes, current HMGS-Midwest board members and their families are ineligible for the drawing. It’s our thanks to the membership for your support of the convention. See you there!
Little Wars 2018 will be held from April 26-29 2018. Here are the hours of operation by day:
Thursday, April 26
- Registration 5 PM – 8 PM
- Event Hall 6 PM -2 AM
- Vendor Hall Closed/Vendor Set-Up
Friday, April 27
- Registration 8 AM – 8 PM
- Event Hall 9 AM – 2 AM
- Vendor Hall 12 PM – 7 PM
- Flea Market Session 1 10:30 AM – 1 PM
- Flea Market Session 2 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
Saturday, April 28
- Registration 8 AM – 7 PM
- Event Hall 9 AM – 2 PM
- Vendor Hall 9 AM – 6 PM
- Flea Market Session 3 8 AM – 10:30 AM
- Flea Market Session 4 6:30 PM – 8:30 PM
- Raffle Drawing 9 PM
Sunday, April 29
- Registration 8 AM – 12 PM
- Event Hall 9 AM – 5 PM
- Vendor Hall 9 AM – 1 PM
- Annual Meeting 3 PM – 5 PM
- Convention Ends 5 PM
The Preliminary Events Listing is closed for 2018 at this time. If you still wish to run an event at Little Wars 2018 and have it listed in the on-site program, the deadline is February 27. Events can still be submitted after that date until April 1, subject to available table space.
Preregistration (by mail) is open now and will continue until March 23.
If you wish to be a vendor and listed in the program, the deadline is Feb 21. Applications may be accepted after that date, subject to available space.
The convention itself begins Thursday, April 26, with setup beginning at 3 PM. The convention ends Sunday, April 29 at 5 PM.
The annual membership meeting will be held on Sunday from 3-5 PM.